Thursday, June 07, 2007
I’m finally back from Korea!
It certainly wasn't up to my expectations. And the reason why it may just be a little enjoyable was only due to the fact that certain friends were there.
Thanks to people like xianhui, ashley, yuki, chiuyee, sharyn and amanda.
Xianhui, you really supported me in times where I really felt sad and I know I snapped at you several times. Sorry for that. I really appreciate the fact that you were there for me. We will be there for each other anytime right?
Ashley, you crazy marbun. I really enjoyed that day at the theme park. We had so much fun. Sitting the roller coaster twice! And there was X-Spin too! It was super (: Although we didn't really hang out much at Korea, I treasured those times we had together.
Yuki, thanks for being there also. There were several times I was alone then you were there. Thanks. Had fun times together (: Looking forward to training with you.
Chiuyee, it was fun shopping with you (: And not only that, thanks for always being there.
Sharyn and Amanda, thanks for letting xianhui and me stay in your room that day. It was quite fun gossiping and writing sorry notes together.
Got to know many more people in the cohort through this trip and got to know more about other people I thought I knew, seeing all the different faces they wear.
I wanted to write a real lengthy post on this trip but somehow I cannot muster the strength to. So I shall just write about the more important parts.
DAY ONE
The city tour wasn't really fabulous or anything. Most was just photo taking. The Deoksugung Palace was quite okay I guess. Watched the guard changing ceremony and got to take photos with the guard. I think V11 people are really fun. I got to hang out with them quite some time. People like Jolene and Yuhan are fun-loving, then there’s Louise, Gaille and Nattawadee who are really bubbly and nice. Haha that was pretty random.
Anyway went shopping with Chiuyee, Yuki and Michelle at Doota later on. Had to settle lunch ourselves which was quite a problem. Ended up eating some snack. Bought a hooded top (: Was quite cheap, 10,000 won. Saw a real nice adidas bag. 58,000 won! Like zomg lah. It is the love! Bought some souvenirs for my family as well. Xianhui bought her expensive Lee Dong Gun mug. Tsktsk.
Went to LG also. That place is like pretty cool. There was this machine that could create a picture of a baby of two people. Here’s jieqi and zifeng and joann and kompol. Haha.
I was pretty homesick on the first night. Lucky xianhui was there to comfort me. Thanks girl (: Sort of stupid crying on the first night and not enjoying the best hotel we ever stayed in in Korea. Sofitel Ambassador Hotel.

That was day one.
DAY TWO
We visited KMLA. Pretty nice school. The campus is like humongous. They own like the whole mountain. And they take up archery there! Like woah (: the student who brought us around was pretty nice. Shall post the photo I took with her and Gra later on. They have their own laptops too. And their uniform’s sorta cool. Simplified hanbok. They get to choose which colour of hanbok they want to wear. And the people there are like geniuses or something.
Had K-night later on at night. 07v13 won! Thanks alot to Adeeb, Lucas and Simin! I don't have any pictures of it. Sorry Esmond! I shall try to ask around and see who has pictures of that night. Haha.
The condo we stayed at had many rumours of it being haunted. Leonie, gra and wadee came over to ashley, xianhui and my room to bunk for the two nights we spent there. I think that two nights were quite enjoyable as so many of us were in one room although the room was sorta shoddy and there werent towels or room service. Haha I dont think I’m making much sense here.
DAY THREE
The youth centre we went to was quite fun I guess. We learnt how to play Korean traditional music instruments. I played the drum! (: We also did iron soldering. Zomg that was like zuberrific. The instructor gave me the painting he did. I had asked him to help me draw a lion but he said there wasn't time then he asked me to wait till end of the lesson. After the lesson, he just passed me this painting which he spent 3days doing. I was rather shocked. I felt guilty also. But I checked with the tour guide and Ms Chua if it was okay if I accepted it. They said it was, so I kept it. Then after that we had some free time. Went around the track with v13 girls. Camwhored about the poles.
Finally got to do our much wanted jump shot! Haha. We all look so comical (:


The guys were playing soccer with our Korean counterparts.
There was this cute guy in this pink shirt. He posed for me! :D
GROUP SHOT!
This was the sign the Korean boys kept doing. When we said “Go Korea!”, they would do this sign and say “We love Singapore!”.

After that, we learnt archery. Korean traditional archery is so different from the archery I used to train in Singapore. No arm guard or finger taps were needed. There wasnt even a sighter. The string’s much more difficult to pull also.
We learnt Korean martial arts as well. Charlie was humorous. Haha. We had astrophysics later on. Didnt really learn much I guess. Most of time was spent camwhoring. Took loads of pictures but havnt got them yet. I shall cram in all the other photos another blog post. The night was sorta beautiful there I guess, above in the mountains, the stars seem nearer than they were back in Singapore. But they are still the same stars, the same stars I saw back then. But they seem to have changed in Korea, everything becomes clearer. It’s like looking them through a clearer piece of glass. Just the same as with the people.
DAY FOUR
Was quite meaningless. Most of the exhibits were in Korean, didnt really understand them. Took quite many photos instead.
IN THE DIZZY ROOM! See that blur on the right? That’s Janel! Haha.

Lucas, Me, Sharyn
Lucas and me in the anorexic mirror!
Somewhere around this few days, I got sick. Sore throat, flu and headache.
The room seety and I got. Aint it a beautiful number?
DAY FIVE
The expo park was boring. And I lost my beloved VR5 pen there! It dropped into a stinky drain! ): I wanted to get it out, but the drain was cemented down.
Went to the Korean Folk Village. That place was pretty swell. Got to shop quite a bit.
Bought this really pretty necklace (:
Bought yet some more souvenirs too.
Kiron said this tree was a suicide tree =.-

DAY SIX
The day that made me realize alot of stuff.
The day that even the teachers were excited about.
The day that the cohort gets to go to the much acclaimed DMZ.
8 students who got to go to Korea, did not get to go to the DMZ.
2 were sick. 6 were late.
You say it is our responsibility to wake up on our own.
I agree.
You say it was punishment for us always being late.
Have you checked if all 6 of us were late everyday?
Or was it because we were just so unlucky to be late on that very day?
You say to paint a clearer picture.
What is it we can buy other than instant noodles at a convenience store?
Lucky I told my parents I wasnt all that keen to go on the DMZ trip because I was scared of getting shot or something. If I was keen, I would have made my way there by hook or by crook. I wouldnt mind cabbing down. But the point is, I wasnt all that keen.
Remaining back in the hotel was quite okay cos there were people like xianhui, sharyn and amanda to keep us company. All of us were pretty disappointed that we couldnt go to the DMZ.
You could say it was the highlight of the whole trip. And we missed it. I really think you should have enforced this rule of banning late students from going out earlier than on the most important day of the whole trip. I hope I made that clear to you in my comments on the survey sheet.
The friends made it all better. Wadee, Kevin, Yasmin, Kompol and others if I missed y’all out, thanks for asking after us and apologizing. It wasnt really your fault I guess. It was our own responsibility to wake up on time.
What I had for my two meals on that day.

DAY SEVEN
THIS WAS THE BEST DAY OF ALL (: We went to SEOULAND which is like rockrockrock. We had 5 free rides each. This was my first time at an amusement park. I finally rode a rollercoaster (: I rode the same one twice and rode another once. Was simply heaven! X-spin was cool too! Like zuberrific! I love the adrenaline pumped :D Did face painting also! Havnt got the photos yet though. Each of our face painting matched our personality. Like the cute digimon and Kevin, the ladybug and Ashley etc. There was one Korean guy who was really nice. He let me on one more ride although I already had 5chops on my ticket. Ashley and I went Krazy on that ride! Haha. Shouting “I love Wonbin!”. Was sheer fun.
After that we went shopping! Didnt really buy much though, didnt have enough time ): But still I bought this lovely Von Dutch cap for only 5,500 won! Whee (: it’s the love! I bought a food junk tshirt too! (: realreal nice. 11,000won! Yasmin, wadee, ashley and I all have that tshirt! LOVELAYYE!
DAY EIGHT
Went to KIA motors. Nothing much there. Went to some duty free shop. Bought $100 worth of food. Got some stuff for air rifle people (: shared with chiuyee, yuki, clara and kailiang. Boxed up all my stuff except for the kimchi. That’s where the problem came in later on. Later on at the airport, after I check in my luggage. I couldnt get through the security check. Because of my 500g kimchi. Thus I had to go through a huge hullabaloo to check in my kimchi. Luckily there was Uncle Steven and Auntie Carol there to help me. Firstly, we packed my kimchi into this ziplock bag I bought from a convenience store. Only to find out that we must pack it into a box then could it be checked in. Then we gathered the other kimchi and packed it together with Lavan’s dumbbell into a box. The packing cost $10 and Uncle Steven paid for it. Felt pretty bad. Finally, we checked in the box under my name and I was free to go. I felt pretty alone walking to the departure lounge on my own. And the best thing was nobody actually missed me except for xianhui. Thanks so much. Imagine if nobody actually realized I wasnt there, and the plane left without me. Actually, I wont be that surprised either. After what happened on Day Six. Nothing came as much of a surprise.
Some other stuff.
The food in Korea was quite okay for me though most people didnt like them. Simin has an unhealthy fetish for kimchi though.

Ohyeah, now I’m crazy over Wonbin too. He acted in Brotherhood, this really gruesome Korean movie. He’s on the left! :DDDDD The guy on the right is not bad either. But Wonbin rocks more! (:

MORE PHOTOS ANOTHER TIME! :D